Saturday, January 22, 2011

Blessed Through Abram



Before Abraham was Abraham, he was Abram. Before he was called by God, he was just an ordinary guy. He would have faded into the rest of the crowd in the polytheistic society of Ur, until the one true GOD called him by name. "The glory of God appeared" to him (Acts 7:2-3) and from that point on, there was no denying which god Abram would serve.

Abram's calling is clear in Genesis 12:2-3. How does this apply to me and to you? I can't wait to show you! Here's what God said...

"I will make you into a great nation

and I will bless you;

I will make your name great,

and you will be a blessing.

I will bless those who bless you;

and whoever curses you,

I will curse;

and all the peoples on earth will be blessed through you."


Wow. Key words: "and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you." Put quite simply, who knew that a guy in the Old Testament would directly affect me? I mean, I (as you may have) grew up in church singing,"Father Abraham had many sons; had many sons had father Abraham. I am one of them, and so are you. So let's just praise theLord!" But, a blessing from a Holy, Holy, God? Crazy.

So I began a bible study on the patriarchs by Beth Moore this week and I am already blown away by what I can learn from what God did...and is still doing today through men like Abraham in the Old Testament. I could go on and on about what God is showing me (and I probably will)!

Concerning this blessing that we (people of faith) receive from Abram's obedience so long ago, Beth Moore has this to say...

"If God blesses us, we don't have to ponder whether that blessing has further purpose. We're blessed to bless. Blessed with spiritual gifts? Bless with
them! Blessed with intelligence and and skills? Bless with them! Blessed
with finances? Bless with them!

You and I have been blessed. Nothing mystifies me more me more than why God
has chosen a former pit dweller like me. Others tell me they feel the same.
Imagine being Abram, however. One blessed man among all peoples on earth.
Why Abram?...Genesis 12:4 suggests a marvelous initial answer: "So Abram
left." Perhaps one answer is simply, 'Because he'd go.'"


I don't know about you, but this rocks my world. This applies to me in so many ways. When God asks me to do something, will I be obedient? Will I be willing to drop everything to follow God somewhere that I don't even know about? Will I allow God to bless me so that I can be a blessing to others and make His name famous? I hope so.

I want to say yes to Him. I want to be wherever He wants me to be. And the blessing is just a bonus.

No comments: