Monday, December 19, 2011

Big Changes

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come:
 The old has gone, the new is here! - 2 Corinthians 5:17
What must it have been like for Mary? Young and engaged to be married; a cute little girl with high expectations and dreams for her future with Joseph. What was it like to find out that she was pregnant...with God's son no less? She was a brave girl. She believed and accepted that this was the Lord's will for her. She had to have known that from that point on, life was never going to be the same.

When you find out that you are going to have a baby, that you are going to get married or something equally as big, there is no way that you can go on with life as usual. Things are going to change. The other day I was chatting with the 5-year-old boy that I nanny for about how when I get married to Christian, I will go and live with him. It was one of the first times that I have ever talked aloud about moving out of my family's house. I have always lived with them and I know that it will be a big transition for me. Jonathan said, "Well, where is the rest of your family going to live?" I explained to him that I am the only one that is moving and that the rest of my family will still live in their house. "That's sad," he said.

It is kind of sad, I thought to myself, but I cannot be more happy about getting to start a new season of life with my new husband. When we get married, things will change. It would be plain crazy if I went on living with my family even when I am married. Who would think of doing such a thing?

It is similar when your hear the good news of Christ's birth, death and resurrection from the grave. When you chose to trust in Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior, life will never be the same. What if Mary had just gone on with her normal, everyday life after the angel Gabriel came to her? What if she hadn't accepted that she was pregnant? Eventually, people would have seen that baby bump and known. You can't just go on living your life like you did before you knew Christ. When you surrender your life to him you are transformed and become a new creation in him!

Let's remember Mary this Christmas and like her, become transformed by the good news of Jesus! He changes our lives forever!

No comments: